November 6, 2016

Forgive this repentant, lazy, foolish servant...

I was reminded today of something.  The parable of the rich and and his talents describes a rich man who gave each of his servants a sum of money (a talent is roughly 30 kilos of gold, worth about 2.5 million US dollars). The good servants double the rich man’s investment, the lazy one did nothing with his money.  The rich man on his return congratulated the good servants and punished the lazy one.We all have talents

All of us in Christ have talent, on loan, from God.  The question is, what do we do with our talent?  For example; my wife’s gift is in art, and hospitality,  She can put out an wonderfully decorated spread for Thanksgiving, Christmas, barbecues, birthdays and tea parties; which she does with a passion several days a year.  So, she does her part.  What is your talent that God has invested in you, that you are sharing…or burying?

I’m burying my talent.  I have some pretty good speaking skills (when prepared) and I can write on the fly with reckless abandon, yet I am not putting these talents to work.  When was the last time I posted anything here…FOUR YEARS AGO?  When was the last time I encouraged anyone here?  Wasting my talent.  I’ve been that lazy, foolish servant.

What if no one reads what I write? Then I write for myself, to encourage myself.  But I must offer up my talent, no matter how few read it.  It only takes one person to be encouraged, to make my efforts worthwhile.  And it doesn’t matter if I know about it.  Getting “likes”, or “shares” may reward me with an inflated ego, and some personal satisfaction, but they don’t give God the glory.

So, forgive me for ignoring this page.  At least once a week, I will write and share my some encouraging words; here, and on other groups and pages.  May you enjoy and be encouraged by these words.



No comments:

Post a Comment