November 6, 2011

Jesus Calls All - 72

Philippians 4:11,12 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Having personally gone from owning a successful, growing business to bankruptcy in less than 6 months back in 2008; having been homeless as well as a landlord; having no certainty as to where my next meal will come from and having a well stocked pantry, I have learned to appreciate every situation I am in. Even the impoverished ones, for I know God will meet my needs, although usually at the last minute. You see, God likes to work on my greatest flaw, a lack of patience, whenever He can.

Most of us are fortunate to be fully employed, and are content with their standard of living. A few of us are unemployed or underemployed; yet by the grace of God can make ends meet. Maybe these people are not content, but in this case, a lack of contentment should serve as a motivator for them to push forward and excel, hopefully to the glory of God.

Then, you have the “occupy” crowd. This is a relatively small group of self proclaimed victims who have a wide assortment of gripes and have received a huge amount of publicity from a mostly sympathetic media. Meanwhile, videos of violence by these protesters can be found on the internet, with over 1000 (and growing) “victims” arrested as of this post. In addition, claims of support for them from labor unions, communists and anti American Muslim groups and even our own executive government are circulating across the internet. Since the media is ignoring these claims, no one has any idea as to their accuracy. Indeed, the love for one another is growing cold, as Jesus said it would.

You may not have everything you want, but do you have everything you need? This is what contentment brings about. Sure, you may still pursue greater things - to have more - to save, invest, play and of course give away to those less fortunate, but when Jesus is your life and your love, everything else becomes irrelevant.

And this is what the “occupy” protesters need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment